What is Personal Information?
“Personal Information” means information about an identifiable individual. For clarity, information that by itself cannot be connected to an identifiable individual is not considered Personal Information.
Why is Personal Information collected and used?
Square One collects and uses your Personal Information for the purpose of:
- promoting, offering, quoting, and selling insurance to you;
- improving our website and the various services offered to you on it;
- processing and administering your insurance policies for which we act as your agent;
- adjudicating your insurance claims;
- contacting you in compliance with the law; and,
- complying with the law.
We will limit the Personal Information we collect about you to that which is needed to meet these purposes. We will only retain your Personal Information as long as we need it to meet these purposes.
Please be aware that, as part of our use of your Personal Information, we may transfer it for processing in jurisdictions outside of Canada, which may not have laws that provide privacy protections that are substantially similar to those in Canada.
Will Personal Information be disclosed to others?
We will only disclose your Personal Information to:
- the Insurer of your policy to underwrite your policy, adjudicate claims, fulfill its obligations under your policy, and comply with the law;
- independent contractors of Square One or your Insurer to investigate, assist with, or adjudicate your claim;
- consumer reporting agencies and appropriate regulatory or industry entities, as governed by the law;
- any other third party, if authorized to do so by the law; and,
- any other third party, if you provide us with your express consent to do so.
How is Personal Information collected?
We collect your Personal Information:
- during all telephone conversations you have with us, which we will record only with your express consent for our mutual protection and to improve the service we offer to you;
- from all written and electronic communications that you have with us;
- when you use our website;
- from any publicly or commercially available source of information; and,
- from consumer reporting agencies with your consent as required by the law.
By volunteering your Personal Information to us, you are providing your consent for us to collect, use and disclose your Personal Information as described in this Policy. If you provide us with Personal Information about others, you represent that you have obtained their consent for us to collect, use and disclose their Personal Information as described in this Policy.
We will make every reasonable effort to keep your Personal Information accurate and up to date.
How is Personal Information used for online advertising?
By using our website, Google and other select advertisers may place cookies on your device. These cookies allow us to display online advertisements to those who visited our website. We cannot identify specific users with these cookies.
Google can associate your browsing history, IP address and device information with your Google account to personalize ads; other advertisers can do the same. To better protect your privacy, and to prevent online advertising, you can:
- disable third-party cookies;
- opt out of digital advertising by visiting the National Advertising Institute or Digital Advertising Alliance websites;
- update your Google ads settings; and,
- opt out of Google Analytics.
What safeguards protect Personal Information?
We will always:
- use all reasonable physical measures, technical tools, and organizational controls at our disposal to protect your Personal Information from misuse or inappropriate disclosures; and,
What recourse is available?
The individual responsible for the protection of Personal Information is our In-House Legal Counsel. You are encouraged to contact our In-House Legal Counsel to:
- request access to your Personal Information in our control, including transcripts of recorded calls;
- correct any of your Personal Information that may be inaccurate;
- address any complaints you may have about our use or disclosure of your Personal Information; or,
- withdraw your consent to our use of your Personal Information.
You can also contact the Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada (or the Commission d’accès à l’information, if you are a Québec resident) if you are not satisfied with our response.
In-House Legal Counsel
Square One Insurance Services Inc.
Suite 1410, 650 West Georgia Street
Vancouver, BC V6B 4N8