Delivering excellent customer service is important to us. We do, however, make mistakes from time-to-time. If your expectations aren’t met, then we want to know. You have our commitment that we will investigate your concern and do our best to resolve it.
Voice your concern
Tell the person who you are dealing with that you’re unhappy. Please voice your specific concern and, if possible, what can be done to resolve it. If your request falls within established guidelines, it will be resolved immediately. Otherwise, your request may be referred to a manager for review. In most cases, the manager will review and respond to your request on the same day.
Speak with the divisional head
If your concern is unaddressed after Step 1, then you can escalate it to the divisional head. Listed below is the contact information for each division.
If you raise a concern with the divisional head, then we will:
- confirm within one business day that we have received your concern;
- collect all necessary information to review your file, including any new information that may be required from you or other interested parties; and
- convene a committee of independent management team members, who will conduct a fresh assessment of your file and determine whether any previous decisions can or should be changed.
We will complete this process, and communicate the outcome of this committee review to you, within five business days of receiving your concern.
Contact the ombudsperson
If your concern is still not satisfactorily resolved after Steps 1 and 2, you should contact our ombudsperson. The ombudsperson is a Square One employee who is responsible for:
- overseeing Square One’s complaints process;
- reviewing your complaint to ensure it has been fully and properly considered; and
- providing you with a letter outlining Square One’s final position along with an explanation, if your complaint cannot be resolved.
Please note that the ombudsperson cannot assist you with the following matters:
- Investigating, negotiating, or settling your insurance claim.
- Inquiring into matters that have been dealt with, or are currently being addressed through, court or a dispute resolution process.
When escalating your concern to the ombudsperson, we ask that you do so in writing by email or mail. Please include the following information in your communication:
- Your name and contact information.
- Your quote, policy or claim number.
- A summary of your concern and what remains unaddressed.
- Any documentation that you would like reviewed.
- The outcome that you want.
You can email your communication to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail it to:
Square One Insurance Services
650 West Georgia Street, Suite 1410
Vancouver, British Columbia
Concerns escalated to the ombudsperson are usually resolved within three business days after we’ve received all the relevant documentation and materials. In the case of complex complaints or complaints that require in-depth investigation, the ombudsperson will strive to resolve them as quickly as possible. If we think we will require more time to properly address your complaint, we will advise you of the projected timeline and keep you updated on our progress.
Residents of Québec
Upon receipt, we record a file of each complaint in our complaints register, which is accessible by the persons within the Square One organization responsible for processing complaints. We will acknowledge receipt and inform you of your complaint registration date as soon as possible.
If you are not satisfied with the resolution of your complaint or its handling by the Ombudsperson, you may request for your complaint to be transferred to the Autorité des marchés financiers (AMF), the financial services regulator in Québec. They can also assist with voluntary mediation services. You can contact them at: