What Brantford residents can expect following the floods

February 22, 2018

(Vancouver, BC): As the flood waters recede in many areas across Ontario, the long process of recovery begins. But who will bear the costs of these damages?

Municipal, provincial and federal governments; insurance and reinsurance companies; and individual businesses and residents will carry their own responsibilities to pay for repairs, but the proportion of damages each party will incur is unclear at this time.

This information is particularly unsettling for individual businesses and residents, understandably, and many are struggling to understand what insurance policies cover. That’s because each class of insurance treats flood damage differently.

Protection against flood damage can be added to most commercial insurance policies purchased by businesses, condo corporations and farms. Similarly, protection against flood damage is typically included in the comprehensive coverage option available under most auto insurance policies.

On the other hand, flood damage is specifically excluded from most home insurance policies in Canada. Government assistance programs exist for homeowners and tenants suffering flood damage. It’s important to note that flood damage is distinct from water and water backup damage. Most home insurance policies provide some form of protection against water backup and broad water damage. In some cases, you may need to specifically add, and pay for, this protection.

Adding to the confusion for homeowners and tenants is the fact that seemingly similar home insurance coverages, like water backup protection, can differ by company. For example, some policies exclude loss or damage caused both directly and indirectly by flood. If your policy excludes damage caused indirectly by flood, then you may not be protected against water backup damage even if no flood waters entered your home. That’s because the water backup damage was indirectly caused by flood.

So, what should you do if you’ve suffered flood damage?

The first step is to file a claim with your home insurance provider, which you should do even if you suspect your claim may not be covered based on what you’ve heard from others. Each insurance company offers different coverage, as mentioned earlier, so your policy may be unique from for neighbours even if you both are insured by the same company. For example, you may have added water backup protection to your policy whereas your neighbor may not have. Your claim will be assessed based on your policy and situation.

Your next step should be to apply for a ssistance from the Ontario Disaster Recovery Assistance Program. For information on this Program, visit their website. You should apply for assistance even if you are waiting to learn if your home insurance claim is covered. If your claim is covered, your insurance company will assist you with the repair process.

If your claim is not covered, ask for a letter indicating as much. This letter will assist you if you choose to escalate the matter, details on which can be found below. You may also need to submit this letter as part of your application to the Ontario Disaster Recovery Assistance Program.

Next you’ll want to begin your clean-up. Take notes and pictures of the damage to your home and property. Keep track of the hours you spend cleaning and the costs you incur. You will need to submit these to the Ontario Disaster Recovery Assistance Program, which will assess your application. If your application is approved, the Program will provide assistance as described on their website.

Who should I contact for claims support?

Contact your insurance provider right away if you have been ordered to evacuate or if your home has already suffered damage from the floods. Your insurance provider will open a claim file, advise you whether the flood is covered and proceed appropriately.

Your insurance provider’s claims number can be found in your policy package or on its website. Square One customers can report a claim directly using their online account, or call 1.855.331.6933 and press 2 when prompted. When you call your insurance company, make sure you have 5 to 10 minutes of time for a thorough conversation, and try to have the following information on hand:

Depending on your immediate needs and on your policy’s coverage, your insurance provider may be able to issue an immediate advance payment for emergency expenses that you incur during the evacuation. Insurance providers are likely taking a great many new claims as a result of this catastrophe, but Square One customers can rest assured that an adjuster will be in touch with all possible urgency.

How will a claim work?

For most insurance customers whose policy covers inland flooding, your policy deductible will apply. Your deductible, which you chose when you purchased your policy, is the amount of any loss that you must pay personally before your insurance company steps in to pay the rest. Your policy document will show this deductible, and your insurance provider’s claims staff can confirm this for you.

For the time being, most residents of Brantford will need to wait and see what happens during the evacuation. Many homes will remain undamaged, while others may suffer water damage that will need repair or even total reconstruction.

Once the evacuation order has been lifted, residents will be able to return home to determine the extent of damage that their homes may have suffered. When you return to your home:

What if you have concerns with your home insurance claim or wish to escalate it?

The insurance industry hasn’t always had the best reputation, but in recent years things have changed. Today, most companies try to find ways to cover (rather than deny) claims based on policy terms. Nonetheless, disputes, mistakes and misunderstandings do happen.

If you have concerns with your home insurance claim or wish to escalate it, take a few minutes to write down your concerns and what you believe should be done to resolve them. Then, contact the individuals or organizations listed below.

In addition to the individuals and organizations listed above, you can contact your local Better Business Bureau to file a complaint. You can also take legal action against your insurance company. Taking legal action should be your very last resort as this will be your most costly option.

Evacuating my home is expensive. Will insurance help with these extra costs?

Most home insurance policies in Canada include coverage for additional living expenses incurred as a result of a civil evacuation order, as long as the policy covers the cause of the evacuation. Not all home insurance policies in Canada cover inland flooding, but if your policy does then you may also be covered for additional living expenses incurred due to the mandatory evacuation order.

The amount of coverage can vary depending on the policy you have purchased, but it’s a basic feature included in most policies. Be sure to keep track of additional expenses that you incur, which could include:

While your policy will not pay for ordinary day-to-day expenses that continue during the evacuation, you may be entitled to claim the additional costs that you incur as a result of the evacuation order.

This is one of the most emotional experiences of my life. How can I cope?

If the process of evacuation and recovery is becoming more than you can handle, reach out to local counselling services for help. The American Psychological Association has also published free guidance for individuals suffering from a catastrophe. To learn more, visit www.apa.org/helpcenter/. This article was written to help individuals and families dealing with catastrophic wildfires, but its information is helpful in other catastrophic situations as well, such as a major flood.