Simple steps can make a big difference in your chances of having a household fire:
Smoke detector: Make sure it’s working. If it starts beeping, the battery probably needs replacing.
Barbecue: Make sure the barbecue is well away from the edge of your building and any foliage. And, remember that the difference between a barbecued and burnt meal is generally determined by the amount of attention given to the process – so pay attention.
Heaters: Keep portable heaters at least a metre away from anything combustible. Never lay wet clothes or shoes on top of heaters to dry.
Cigarettes: Smoke outside and don’t drop butts on the ground. Use a deep ashtray, rather than throwing butts in a planter, as embers can smolder and cause the plant to catch on fire.
Electrical appliances: If a toaster or any other electrical appliance only cost $3.99, think about how good the wiring is likely to be. Electrical fires are also common where too many appliances are plugged into the same outlet. If you have ever blown a fuse by turning on the hairdryer or microwave, the wiring needs to be assessed by a qualified electrician.
Children: We’re not suggesting your child is a pyromaniac, but it is normal to be interested in fire – teach your kids to respect fire.
Smoking materials cause about 9% of all residential fires in Canada, and 11% of outdoor fires. “Smoking materials” include cigarettes, lighters, matches, cannabis, and e-cigarettes. That’s a lot of unnecessary damage that’s easy to prevent if you handle smoking materials responsibly.
If you smoke, make sure you follow these fire safety rules:
As well, make sure you always dispose of cigarette butts responsibly. Never discard cigarette butts in or near plant materials. That includes near grass, gardens, planters, or dead plant material like lawn clippings. Even peat moss, commonly used by home gardeners, can catch fire from a smouldering cigarette.
It’s also important to follow the safety rules while you’re camping, driving, or otherwise enjoying the outdoors. During BC’s destructive 2015 wildfire season, smoking materials caused 26% of the province’s 2,835 outdoor fires.
Instead of tossing cigarette butts carelessly, extinguish them in a deep ashtray. Then, wet them and toss them in the trash. Never throw out a cigarette butt that hasn’t been wet; still-warm cigarette butts in the trash can smoulder and ignite devastating fires. That applies to matches as well.
Candles can be so beautiful. They create a nice warm light and give your home a very cozy ambience. Not to mention a lovely aroma when you use spicy, seasonal scented candles. But never forget, candles can be dangerous. According to the US National Fire Protection Association, for years 2003-2007:
More than half of all candle fires started when the candle was too close to a flammable item, such as furniture, curtains, or decorations.
In one-fifth of the fires, the candles were unattended or abandoned.
More than one-third of home candle fires begin in the bedroom.
December is the peak time of year for home candle fires. In fact, 4 of the top 5 days for home candle fires were between December 23 and January 1.
So here are a few tips to keep in mind:
Candle are beautiful but are a very real fire hazard. With so many other options today, you can have a warm, cheery ambience without the worry.
Outdoor lighting isn’t a common source of fires, but it’s still important to be mindful of their potential as fire hazards.
Some of the same cautions given for outdoor lights apply to indoor lights, too, as well as these tips:
Every year, there are thousands of dryer fires. How can you prevent this from happening to you?
Clean the lint screen every time you use your dryer.
Vacuum around and under your dryer where lint can collect.
Don’t put cleaning rags in the dryer. These can contain flammable liquids or oils which can heat dangerously in the dryer.
Read your dryer’s manual and follow any service recommendations. It is often recommended to have the dryer taken apart and thoroughly cleaned out by a qualified service technician every 1-3 years, depending on how often you use your dryer.
Clean the dryer vent periodically, at least once each year. Go outside while the dryer is running and make sure the exhaust air is blowing out. If not, there could be a blockage in the ducting.
Leave space between dryer and wall. If you put the dryer right against the wall, you can crush the venting material.
Call a service technician if you notice your clothes are excessively hot when they come out, or if they’re taking an overly long time to dry. Your dryer may need maintenance.
Don’t leave your dryer running when you go out or when you go to bed.
A dryer is an important appliance to have in Canada, especially in the winter when the weather makes it impossible to hang clothes outside. Just take a few precautions to make sure your dryer is properly maintained, allowing it to operate efficiently, and helping to keep your home safe from fire.
ready for an online quote? Your time matters, and so does your stuff. Get a personalized home insurance quote in 5 minutes. That’s less time than it takes to wait in line for coffee.
With their open flames, fireplaces are a natural fire hazard, so use care:
Did you know that fires start in the kitchen more often than anywhere else? Here are 10 tips to prevent kitchen fires from starting:
Kitchen fires can cause significant smoke damage to your entire home, even if the fire itself is contained to the kitchen. Learn more in the infographic below.
For a quick overview of Kitchen Fire Safety Tips, check out the infographic below.
If you own your home, be sure you have the right insurance to cover all of your property. If you are a renter, having renter’s insurance in place can provide coverage for not only your own property, but also for any fire and smoke damage to the unit you’re renting.
Want to learn more? Visit our Home and Personal Safety resource centre to find more information about protecting your family and your home. Or, get an online quote in under 5 minutes and find out how affordable personalized home insurance can be.
About the expert: Chuck Roydhouse
Chuck Roydhouse is a retired professional firefighter, owner of Clean Sweep of Anne Arundel County, and President of CSIA (Chimney Safety Institute of America). He has a degree in Fire Science & Safety from Shepherd University and 25 years of experience as a career firefighter. Chuck has been serving the chimney industry for 30 years as a CSIA Master Chimney Sweep.
Check out these related articles:
Get a personalized online home insurance quote in just 5 minutes and see how much money you can save by switching to Square One.
Even when you take precautions, accidents can happen. Home insurance is one way to protect your family against financial losses from accidents. And, home insurance can start from as little as $12/month.